Cidco gets approval for private bidders for Navi Mumbai Airport

navi mumbai airport image

 

 

 

 

By Accommodation Times News Service

The civil aviation ministry on Friday paved the way for Maharashtra’s town planning agency – City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) to go ahead with the process for inviting bids from private developers to build the Navi Mumbai airport.

“We have approved the draft request for qualification document for the Navi Mumbai airport sent by CIDCO,” a senior official of the civil aviation ministry told. “CIDCO can now go ahead and complete the final formalities before issuing the RFQ and hosting pre-qualification meetings with interested bidders.”

The RFQ sent by CIDCO earlier this month was cleared at a meeting of a steering committee formed by the civil aviation ministry for the Navi Mumbai airport project.

RFQ is a pre-bid process of the government which narrows down the interested bidders according to various criteria. The RFQ for the Navi Mumbai airport is expected to be issued by CIDCO in early January. “They still have to complete some surveys relating to the rehabilitation programme of the persons affected by the project which should take another couple of weeks,” the official quoted above said. After the issue of the RFQ, CIDCO can call interested parties for pre-qualification meetings following which the qualified parties will be invited for bidding. GVK, which operates Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, holds the right of first refusal for the Navi Mumbai airport. GVK did not immediately comment on whether it will bid for the project or exercise the right of first refusal.

As per the its right, GVK will be allowed to revise its bid in case it falls short of the highest bid by 10%.

The Navi Mumbai airport project will be developed on 2,268 hectares of land of which the aeronautical area has been kept at 1,160 hectares. The remaining land can be used by the private developer for commercial development.

The project will be developed on a public-private-partnership model with the private developer set to hold 74% equity stake in the project while the remaining 26% stake will be equally divided between Airports Authority of India and Maharashtra government via CIDCO.

The airport which was conceived 27 years ago on paper has been held up due to land acquisition delays. Last month, the project got a boost after the Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan decided the allotment of 22.5% of the developed land to persons affected by the project which helped resolve land acquisition issues.

The persons affected by the project will also get 100 shares each in the company which would be formed to develop and run the Navi Mumbai airport.





Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

Top