Coastal slum rehab rules may get eased

By Accommodation Times News Service

To boost to the state’s slum development plan along the city’s coastline the Slum Rehabilitation Authority is looking at applicable options. It is estimated that nearly 150 housing projects could create 4lakh housing units for the economically backward section has been stand under coastal regulation zone that is 500 meters from the coast. These most of the projects are in western suburbs.  To develop these zones developers mostly run away as these projects are lucrative under the notification which was issued in 2010 by Union environment and forest minister Jairam Ramesh. The notification stated that development in coastal region can happen only housing authority having a 51% stake and the remaining 49% resting with private developers. Also the developers are not allowed to build additional houses on such land in an open market, they can construct only on the existing area they will not get any additional floor space.  This is the main cause the builders and developers are getting wary off. The slum re-development plan scheme had been floated to plan the city well and provide the better affordable housing to the people.

Chief of the state Slum Rehabilitation Authority said they will have meeting with stake holders to understand their reservation in taking up such projects. He said that there is a need to discuss about how such projects in the coastal zone can be made viable. After studying the aspects we will submit a report to the state within three weeks.





Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

Top