General FAQs on Co-operative Societies

By Accommodation Times News Service

Q: How to proceed if the BMC Authorities are not responding to the Complaint lodged with them?

Ans: Many times it so happens that an individual is writing various Letters to the Municipal Offices but for certain reasons replies are not forthcoming from the BMC Authorities. In such circumstances what should be the stand of an individual to get justice for his Complaint is to lodge with Sr. Municipal Corporation Officers including the Assistant Municipal Commissioner, Dy. Municipal Commissioner. The Complainant may also lodge has Complaint with the vigilance Department. If in spite of the same cases are not moved to the satisfaction of the Complainant, then in that circumstances it would be in the interest of the Complainant to lodge a Complaint with the Public Information Officer and get the necessary information from the concerned Public Information Officer under the provisions of Right to Information Act, The reasons for the same is factual position as regards progress of the matter can be easily available. Thereafter armed with the reply (if received) from the Public Information Officer the relevant information an appeal should be lodged with the Urban Development Department address of which is for the City of Mumbai is at Sachivalaya in Mantralaya Bldg., 3rd floor, Nariman Point, Mumbai – 400 021. When an appeal is lodged with the Urban Development Department, a hearing will be fixed.  At the said hearing a copy of the Complaint lodged by the Complainant sent to the concerned Municipal Corporation Officer, an explanation from the same Municipal Authorities is taken into consideration. Thereafter Urban Development Department passes the Order which order shall be binding on both the parties.

The above said order is passed by the competent Authorities as per the provisions of section 53(1) of MRTP (Maharashtra Regional Town Planning) Act, 1966.Experience shows, when a Complaint is lodged with the Urban Development Department, there is a scope for individual to get justice, as the approach of the Government Officer is based on fairly, equity and natural justice.  The approx time frame for the above said matter taken by the Department is 3 months.  A simple claim for the same has to be filed.

It needs to be emphasized that the Officers employed by the Urban Development Department include Town Planners, who are having vide experience with the provisions of the BMC (Bombay Municipal Corporation) Act, as well as MRTP (Maharashtra Regional Town Planning) Act,

Similar Articles

3 thoughts on “General FAQs on Co-operative Societies


  2. Sir / Madam

    I need legal advice from you. The builder has sold a ground floor flat along with a garden. Can the owner of the flat erect a weather shed in the garden with the support of the Society Building (i.e. his / her flat). Is there any laid down rules for the same under the Bye-Laws.

    Thanks & Regards


Leave a Reply