Procedure for Self Redevelopment of housing societies in Maharashtra

By Dr Sanjay Chaturvedi, LLB, PhD

Builders are not finding viable projects offered by housing societies in Maharashtra, are going in for self redevelopment. Due to slow down in market and new DCR where the redevelopment is not viable in Mumbai, housing societies in Maharashtra are going in for self redevelopment.

Developing a residential project is not a joke. It requires 56 NOCs from local self government but also having jurisdiction of Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Act 1960 and further amendments. There are many other NOCs required besides BMC. Like for example CRZ clearance, Environment clearance, Traffic, Fire, Civil Aviation, defense and railway NOC if you fall under their jurisdictions.

First step: Society must know its potential FSI, fungible FSI and total FSI consumed till date. This is first step because society first should determine that they want redevelopment and reconstruction for themselves or there is sale elements in it. If society wants to redevelop its premises then there is no question of RERA registration. But if society wants to sell some of new flats in its redeveloped project and it is more than 8 units or 500 sq mtrs or more then it has to register it in Maha RERA.

The society must have conveyance its name. While applying for new plan, IOA and CC to BMC, society must be owner of the land on which redevelopment is proposed. If the land belongs to MHADA, Collector, any statutory authority, Pugree, or any ostensible ownership like trust etc then NOC from such owner is must for redevelopment.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply