By Accommodation Times News Services
Ministry of Urban Development receives first nomination for smart city from the city of Puducherry. The Government of Union Territory of Puducherry has nominated its capital city for inclusion in the 100 Smart Cities Mission launched on the 25th of last month.
Chief Secretary of the Government of Puducherry has forwarded the nomination along with all the forms and documents including the details of evaluation of all the five urban local bodies in the Union Territory as required in the Stage-1 of ‘City Challenge’ competition. These ULBs included : Puducherry, Oulgaret, Kariakal, Mahe and Yanam.
The High Powered Steering Committee (HPSC) constituted as per the Mission Guidelines and headed by Chief Secretary has overseen the process of first stage intra-state competition and sent its recommendations to the Urban Development Ministry of the Government of India.
Puducherry which has a population of 6,57,209 has done well in respect of several Stage-1 evaluation criteria and scored 75 of the possible 100 marks. HPSC has reported that Puducherry Municipal Corporation:
- Achieved 18% improvement in provision of Household sanitary latrines since 2011;
- Increased internal revenue generation continuously over the three year period 2012-13 – 2014-15 marking an improvement of 14%;
- Paid Salaries of staff till last month;
- Has got Accounts audited up to 2012-13;
- Had 63% of budgeted receipts from tax revenue, fees, user charges, rents and other internal resources during 2014-15;
- Met 23% of its capital expenditure from internal resources;
- Met about 80% O&M costs of water supply through user charges;
- Has an operational online grievance redressal system and published monthly e-news letter; and
- Posted details of municipal budget expenditure for the last two financial years on its website.
As required under the Smart City Mission Guidelines, the Puducherry Government has also furnished a copy of the Order constituting an Inter-Departmental Task Force to advice and coordinate preparation of Smart City Proposal for the capital city besides assisting the High Powered Steering Committee.
Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu complimented the Government of Puducherry for being the first to send Smart City nomination and urged the Chief Minister Shri N.Rangaswamy to keep up the momentum.